Okay, okay, maybe I should have put "illegal" into some brackets before the word "Mexicans" in that title; but who are we kidding, racism is funnier.
I don't know how I feel about the whole building-a-fence-to-keep-the-wetbacks-out issue, mainly due to this huge, abyss-like feeling of "not caring" that I've got going on, but Glenn Beck* raised some pretty fine points.
Here are some of the issues being brought up:
1. 'Putting up a fence along the border sends the wrong signal to a friend and ally'
2. 'The only people crossing the border are good, decent, hard-working family people, here to make a better life'
3. 'The last thing we need is another Berlin Wall...this is supposed to be America!'
And here are some of the logical arguments Glenn* has fought back with:
1. Do YOU have a fence around your property? Is your neighbor offended by it? Did you put it up because you're a hateful racist, bent on keeping all who don't look like you off your property? Of course not. The old saying good fences make good neighbors has never been more true.
2. Well, there are some of those, and we'll discuss them another time. But there are also many drug smugglers and criminals, intent of harming American citizens. There are many like Jose Medellin, who just last week was finally executed for his crime of raping, torturing and brutally murdering two innocent teenage girls in Houston, Texas in 1993.
There are also armed military incursions across our border on a regular basis. Just last week, a U.S. border agent was held at gunpoint by Mexican military who'd crossed the border. They held him until back up border patrol agents arrived, then the retreated back across the border. Last month, Mexican commandos crossed the border all the way to Phoenix, Arizona, where they riddled a home with over 100 bullets, killing the American citizen inside, and had planned to ambush police responding to the incident, but ran out of ammunition. Several were caught by Phoenix police, the rest retreated back to Mexico. This is the 42 armed incursions into the United States by Mexican commandos since October...there's been over 300 since 2005. By the way, the Mexican authorities said their military personnel didn't know they'd crossed the border...a FENCE would help with that. After all, some might call an armed, military incursion across our border, an act of war.
3. First of all, we're not talking about a wall, we're talking about a fence. A fence designed to keep criminals, smugglers, potential terrorists, and yes, illegal aliens out...not, as was the case with the Berlin Wall, to keep our citizens IN. No one is trying to escape this country, so the Berlin Wall comparison shows that you possess all the intelligence of a bathroom bowl brush.
Over 1 MILLION people were apprehended by U.S. agents trying to sneak into the country last year. The Border Patrol estimates that they catch one in three. That means 2 million illegal aliens were successful sneaking into our nation. 2 MILLION per year! No nation of earth can sustain such an illegal influx.
It makes sense to me. I mean, if you are already here illegally, I think there should be some sort of process you can go through to get your legal status, such as showing how you have been an asset to the community and how hard you've worked and whatnot. Then hell yeah, lets make you legal, why the fuck not? We've got plenty of Americans milking the system and figuring that welfare pays more than the shitty wages we are giving the Mexicans to actually work. They aren't stealing jobs, we are just too fucking lazy to do anything. Fuck, we need those Mexicans! I know I do, cuz I haven't found one white person that can make a decent tamale, which is sad considering they wayyy easier than making lasagna. Plus, I know plenty of legal immigrants (from Mexico, Brazil, Bulgaria, etc) who found a way to become a citizen and if they can do it, anyone can. But of course, I'm against illegals coming over to prosper in drug trade or crime...that is, unless they hook me up on some free, pure Colombian bambam and maybe a plasma TV.
What do you think about this?